Club volunteers deliver direct hands-on time and talent to assist local agencies in Chatham-Kent provide an immediate or ongoing response to issues facing women and girls.
Big Brothers Big Sisters BIG BIRTHDAY Party
Annually we host a party for the children attending Big Brothers Big Sisters of Chatham Kent. With a new theme each year, we are all-hands-on-deck to bring on the BIG smiles with a night of fun-filled games and treats!
We believe that working together with others in a safe space promotes health and wellness as well as builds life-long skills. We support girls and young women on their path of discovery and growth through sponsorships of experiences and activities that develop them physically, socially, emotionally and cognitively.
• Annually, we donate to A.L.L. (Activities, Lessons, and Leisure) for Kids program which helps cover the cost of recreational activities for children whose parents could otherwise not afford it.
• Every year, through the Chatham Youth Soccer Association, Zonta CK sponsors a girl’s soccer team.
• In 2019, we paid the entry for the all-girls robotics team, Build A Dream Robotics Team #6875 for the World Robotics Championship.
• In 2018, we sponsored the Chatham Kent Secondary School girls hockey team for their all-Ontario Championship (OFSAA) tournament.
Support for Victims of Gender Violence
• We have a long standing commitment to supporting the needs of the Women’s Centre and volunteering for various events they hold.
• We have committed ourselves to helping the Chatham Kent Sexual Assault Crisis Centre in their mission to support local women 16 and up who have experienced the impact of sexual assault / harassment / abuse. 24 HR CRISIS LINE: 519-354-8688
• In 2018 we took on the role of replenishing clothing for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence who need to leave their clothing at the Chatham Kent Health Alliance for evidence. A massive thank you to Joe Fresh and Penningtons Chatham for all of their donations.
International Women’s Day / Zonta Rose Day
Celebrated alongside International Women’s Day (IWD), Zonta Rose Day is a time to reflect on progress made, to call for change, and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women, who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities.
The past two years we have handed out yellow roses to recognize various organizations and individuals working in our community who do amazing things for local women and children, and to the women staying at the CK Women’s Centre. Thank you to Loads of Love for donating the vases. In 2019 some members volunteered at the Women’s Day luncheon at the Chatham-Kent Women’s Centre.
We are the caretakers of the downtown Chatham green space, Zonta Park, located on King Street by the Retro Suites Hotel.